Along the banks of the North Pine River is one of the Moreton Bay Region’s best loved parklands for families, John Oxley Reserve. With a mammoth 10 hectares of public parklands, including oval and nature reserve, John Oxley Reserve is located in the suburb of Murrumba Downs, off Dohles Rock Road.
John Oxley Reserve has a large bark chipped playground nestled in a grove of beautiful mature trees, where kids can slide, climb, spin, jump, balance and swing on the equipment provided.
The trees throughout this play area offer wonderful respite from the sun, as well as providing a habitat for an assortment of local bird life.
John Oxley Reserve is a popular location for Christmas break-ups, birthday parties and family gatherings. With its large play area, car park, pine trees, ovals and picnic shelters, there’s ample space for your guests to spread out and enjoy a day in the park.
The park is also home to the John Oxley Reserve Community Centre, a small hall with a kitchen and toilets available for hire from the Moreton Bay Regional Council here.
Carole Green Walkway is part of the John Oxley Reserve. It’s a designated bush pathway leading to a boardwalk by the North Pine River. Not only does the walk highlight the region’s native vegetation, but also gives a little history on the area.
This walk is perfect for children – being predominately flat and shaded.
As an environmentally sensitive area, Carole Green Walkway is strictly a no dog or trailbike zone. So leave your pets at home and enjoy a leisurely stroll through these beautiful bushlands.
John Oxley Reserve is named after the NSW Surveyor-General John Oxley who, in 1823, rescued ship wrecked ex-convicts Pamphlett and Finnegan. Finnegan told Oxley of a large river (Brisbane River), but mistakenly led Oxley to the Pine River. Oxley named it ‘Deception River’ for its trickery. The party decided to travel further upstream to what is known today as Oxleys Inlet, now commemorated by John Oxley Reserve.
The Moreton Bay Region must have had quite the impact on Oxley, as he returned to the Pine River in 1824 to collect Hoop Pines with government botanist Allan Cunningham.