Redcliffe District Rugby League Football Club Inc. (more commonly referred to in the present day as Redcliffe Dolphins) was founded on 27th February, 1947.
Since the Club’s early days it has flourished and grown to become a rugby league institution of greatness, fostering the talents of footy legends such as Trevor Harken and Arthur Beetson with more rising stars making their way through the ranks since the 1960s.
Today, junior and senior players wear the Club’s early red and white jersey colours (formerly described as maroon and white), and as of 2016 the Club welcomed the addition of the new home of the Dolphins – Dolphin Stadium.
Stage 1 of Dolphin Stadium, the Des Webb Stand, was officially opened in 2016, standing proudly on the Western side of the Club’s long-time home turf of Dolphin Oval. Since opening, Dolphin Stadium has hosted the Village Motors Dolphins home games, the annual Arthur Beetson Foundation’s Queensland Murri Rugby League Carnival as well as touch rugby league carnivals and soccer matches.
Love your rugby league history? Over the years Dolphins have racked up an impressive array of club records and awards and stored up a treasure trove of archived Dolphins articles spanning from the club’s early days to the present.
For those who prefer a quick skim, here’s a short overview of the club’s history:
In its first year the club entered Under 17, Reserve Grade and First Grade teams into the Sandgate Suburban Rugby League competition. Through the 1950s club teams played in the Kilcoy, Murrumba and Geraghty Cup competitions and by the end of the 1950s, on 19th November, 1959 Redcliffe Dolphins received full district club status and was accepted into the Brisbane First Grade competition.
Throughout the swinging 60s a number of famous players rose through the ranks of the Dolphins to represent Queensland and Australia, including Trevor Harken and Arthur Beetson. Redcliffe won the Brisbane Rugby League Premiership for the first time in 1965.
In 1972 the Dolphins were coached by former Kangaroo, Ken Day. Redcliffe’s halfback Greg Oliphant was selected to go on the 1978 Kangaroo tour, but did not play in any Test matches. In 1979, the first game was played at Dolphin Oval against Valleys. The Dolphins had formally played at the Redcliffe Showgrounds.
Australian national coach Frank Stanton coached Redcliffe in 1980.
The Dolphins last won the Queensland Cup premiership in 2006, beating Toowoomba in the Grand Final at Suncorp Stadium under the coaching of Anthony Griffin.
Dolphin Oval, the home of the Dolphins was upgraded in 2016 with the completion of Stage 1 of Dolphin Stadium, a 3,500 seat grandstand on the Western side. Stage 2 commenced in late 2017 and will include another grandstand, upgraded coaches, referees, media and player accommodation.
You’ll find it situated to the right of Dolphins Health Precinct, directly behind Redcliffe Redcliffe Leagues Club.
Stadium address: Corner of Klingner & Ashmole Roads
How to get there: The entrance for Dolphin Stadium parking is accessible via Klingner Road.
Contact Redcliffe Dolphins: Call 3203 4754 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Klingner & Ashmole Roads, Redcliffe QLD 4020
Public holidays may vary